LEADS Primary Charter School is an inquiry-based literacy charter school that serves 72 students in grades 4K-2 in the Shawano School District. Our mission is for students to become independent learners, critical thinkers, problem solvers, communicators, and collaborative and responsible citizens through this inquiry based approach. LEADS offers a student-centered and teacher-guided instructional approach that engages students in investigating real world questions within a broad thematic framework that follows Common Core Standards.
LEADS stands for:
• Learning-style focus: Teacher preparation and practice will recognize students’ varied learning strengths and enable increased participation, progress, and achievement;
• Exploratory learning: Addressing the Common Core Standards through an inquiry based approach that connects to real-world needs, this model organizes learning where students do original research and create high-quality products for audiences beyond the classroom;
• Achievement for all: Research consistently indicates that Reading proficiency at the 3rd-Grade level is the most consistent and reliable predictor of high school graduation. LEADS will provide intense programming emphasis on achieving such proficiency for its students.
• Differentiated instruction: Charter school staff will not only be cognizant of learning-style differences, but also trained in best practices to address different learning styles and alternative ways of presenting material to facilitate student understanding and application;
• Student-driven success: Students will be encouraged and led to view themselves as the initiators and owners of the learning process through the inquiry based learning approach and by teachers and staff trained to foster such an attitude and practice.
The LEADS Experience (Vision Statement):
LEADS is an inquiry-based literacy charter school.
LEADS connects community, family and teachers to a child’s journey of learning.
LEADS is a place where teachers guide students in wise use of voice and choice to learn, work, and play together.
LEADS students become independent learners, critical thinkers, problem solvers, communators and collaborative and responsible citizens through this inquiry based approach.