Return to Play Plan
Statement of Risk
The novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. COVID-19 is extremely contagious and is believed to spread mainly from person-to-person contact. As a result, federal, state, and local governmental health agencies have acknowledged there is an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 in any public place where people are present. The Shawano School District has put in place preventative measures to reduce the potential for the spread of COVID-19; however, the Shawano School District cannot guarantee that you or your child(ren) will not become infected with COVID-19. Further, attending the events provided by or scheduled by the Shawano School District could increase your risk and your child(ren)’s risk of contracting COVID-19.
The Shawano School District is excited to offer opportunities for our student-athletes to return to school-sponsored team activities. We believe it is essential to the physical and mental well-being of student-athletes to return to organized physical activity and build team relationships with their peers and coaches. We also take very seriously our responsibility to provide a safe environment for our students and staff to engage in these activities. Our "Return to Play" plan strikes a balance between those two considerations.
The components of our complete "Return to Play" Plan can be found on the right side bar of this page. Below are some key components of the plan.
1. These provisions apply to all summer team activities. Additional/updated guidelines are expected for the fall season sports.
2. Key Dates: July 1: District outdoor facilities reopen ot the public. July 7: School-sponsored teams may return to face-to-face outdoor contact. July 20: School-sponsored teams may return to face-to-face indoor contact.
3. Joel Wondra, Activities Director, will serve as the coordinator and main point of contact for all matters related to the "Return to Play" plan for athletics. Please direct any questions or concerns to him at email@example.com or 715-526-2175, ext. 8103.
4. Mitigation measures included in the guidelines are based on our current County Risk Level as designed by the Shawano-Menominee Counties Health Department. As of July 1, the county is designated as Moderate Risk.
5 All participants will need to turn a completed Assumption of Risk and Waiver of Liability Relating to Coronavirus/COVID-19 form to their coach before they will be allowed to participate in team activities.
6. Coaches will schedule students to meet at specific times to ensure that group activities stay within gathering size limitations. If your coach has not communicated with you, please contact your coach. No spectators or guests will be permitted at team activities.
7. During county designated periods of Higher and Moderate risk, all participants will be required to wear a face mask during team activities, except at times when they are engaged in aerobically demanding activity. At this time, participants will provide their own mask. Cloth masks are appropriate. Medical grade mask are not necessary. Individuals who are medically unable to wear a mask should contact the Activities Director. Any printing/messaging on masks must be school-appropriate.
8. Individuals should refrain from participating or attending if they exhibit any symptoms associated with COVID-19. Anyone who has symptoms of COVID-19 should stay home. If anyone in the household has symptoms, the entire household should stay home.
9. All participants will be pre-screened for symptoms before the start of each activity. Pre-screening involves answering a series of yes/no questions to determine if the participant is experiencing any symptoms that is common to COVID-19. This includes reporting if the participant's temperature is above 100.4F. Participants who exhibit symptoms will be sent home and will be required to stay away from team activities for a prescribed period of time.
10. Any individual who participates in team activities who tests positive for COVID-19, or who is exposed to someone who tests positive for COVID-19, must report that to the Activities Director immediately.
11. Physical distancing will be required as much as possible during team activities.
12. Participants must practice good personal hygiene. This includes washing hands before and after workouts, using hand sanitizer if hand washing is not available, showering at home immediately after practice, laundering all clothing worn at practice after each workout, and disinfecting all sport-related equipment used during a workout.
13. All participants will bring their own hydration materials in adequate supply. Water fountains will not be available.
14. Summer participation in workouts/training sessions is voluntary and may not be mandated or used toward team or program selection.
15. The complete "Return to Play" plan can be found in the documents linked on the right sidebar of this page.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY RELATING TO CORONAVIRUS/COVID-19
Required of all participants before they begin participating. Print and complete the form by initialing and signing, and return the form to your coach.
COVID-19 REOPENING GUIDELINES- SCHOOL SPONSORED ATHLETIC PROGRAMS
This document is an overview of the SSD Return to Play Guidelines
GENERAL MITIGATION BY RISK LEVEL
General mitigation provision based on the County Health Department's assessment of our county's current risk level. (As of July 1, the county is in the Moderate Risk level.)